02 Apr Will Your Medications or Supplements Affect Dental Treatment?
Bradenton, FL dentist Dr. Tiffany Boyd always speaks to her patients about the importance of disclosing information about any medications and supplements they take.
Many medical procedures, especially surgical treatments, involve the use of some kind of medication for pain relief or to prevent bacterial infections. Any drug or supplement you’re taking might interact with the medications your dentist uses and can create an unwelcome reaction in your body. It can even affect your dental treatment and you don’t want that to happen.
There are certain supplements and medications that most dentists in Bradenton generally advise patients to avoid before any procedures. These include:
- Vitamin E and Aspirin: They both act as blood thinners and may cause problems with excessive bleeding. So don’t take Vitamin E or Aspirin before any surgical procedures.
- St. John’s Wort, Valerian Root and Melatonin: These supplements along with other herbal treatments to help you calm down or sleep may interact with anesthesia, making it stronger.
- Vitamin C: In high doses, vitamin C can also affect your anesthesia but in the opposite way, making it weaker.
There are a few more herbal supplements to stay away from before your medical procedures, according to Livestrong.com.
- Ephedra can alter blood pressure and heart rate in a negative way.
- Gingko is a cognitive enhancer, but it can increase your risk of bleeding.
- Ginseng is another cognitive enhancer. It can increase your heart rate in addition to your risk of bleeding.
- Kava helps with anxiety but can prolong the effects of anesthesia.
Before any medical or dental procedures, always let your doctor know about any medications – over the counter as well as prescription – and supplements that you are taking. You have to listen to your doctor.
Dr. Tiffany Boyd, a family dentist in Bradenton, FL, will give you her personalized recommendations based on your medical and drug/supplement history. Contact the dental team at Bradenton River Dental for more information or if you need to make your next appointment.